- I live in Clearwater, Florida with my wife Kari. (I’m happy to say that after over 35 years, our relationship is a real source of joy – mostly! – and keeps getting better.)
- I have two wonderful grown daughters – Lyrica and Shira – and a fabulous grandson, Kepler.
- I love playing piano and Ultimate Frisbee and coding websites.
My Professional Quest
- My parents divorced when I was four years old. I wondered for years: why couldn’t two good, loving people make it together?
- While getting a Ph.D. in Social Psychology at the University of Michigan, I found that psychology offered some of the answers. But only some.
- Working with individuals, couples, and families as a Licensed Psychologist in Massachusetts I learned a great deal. Yet I had the sense that there was more to learn.
- Interested in helping people build successful relationships in the professional world as well as the personal world, I led seminars on five continents helping business people learn to do win-win negotiating, empower their workers, and build successful executive teams – especially cross-cultural teams. I discovered that many of the same principles that help with personal relationships also help with professional relationships. I even wrote a book about those principles: If at First You Don’t Succeed . . . Change the Rules! But something still seemed to be missing.
- Then I came across ground-breaking research that clarified why some relationships work sustainably and others don’t. Finally everything I’d been learning fit together. I understood that my parents, like many people, had relationship troubles not because there was anything wrong with them but because they just didn’t know any better. They didn’t know how to build trust and create a happy relationship – and they had no one to teach them. I knew what it would take for ordinary people – anyone – to create the kind of relationships they really want.
- I decided to focus on using what I’ve learned to help people who are having the kinds of troubles my parents had, or are concerned that they soon will have – or simply know that a great relationship is a key part of the foundation for a great life and they don’t want to miss out.
- That brings me to you!
- Maybe you’ve been through a divorce – or more than one – and you’re tired of relationships that don’t work. You’re determined to make your next relationship different. (Good news – you can definitely do that!)
- Maybe you recently got married – or you’re about to – and you want to build a truly great relationship – and you’re both committed to do whatever it takes to have that happen. (This is a perfect time for you to learn a few things that can make all the difference!)
- Maybe things are OK between you, but you know they could be better and your significant other is beginning to complain about the amount of time you spend at work. Your work is your mission, but you don’t want to end up with a successful business or career and a dead relationship. (You’ll be happy to know that it’s absolutely possible to have a great relationship even when you’re crazy busy. I’ll show you how.)
- Whatever your starting point, if you’ve read this far we should definitely talk. Give me a call and schedule a complimentary “Relationship Success” Strategy Session. I’ll talk with you (either face to face or via phone or Skype will work fine!), give you some suggestions, and help you get clear about how to move forward toward the future and the relationship you really want.